Friday, July 25, 2008

Update on my Little Charlie

Charlie had his appt. with the specialist yesterday and I guess it went well. The vet wants to 'wash' his esophagus and lungs with a special fluid and if she encounters any strictures (build-up of scar tissue) in his esophagus, she is going to break it up by inserting a balloon in his esophagus and basically popping it. She can not guarantee that the surgery will take care of his asthma but she thinks it will help. It's either that or put him on a daily inhaled bronchodilator (similar to a human inhaler) twice a day for the rest of his life. That sounds horrible. The surgery would cost around $1400. The inhaler would cost us between $150 - $200 EVERY month. I guess you can imagine that we chose option #1. His little surgery is scheduled for Monday morning so he is not out of the woods yet. He is at home now and he is still wheezing. I am able to continue the oral prednisone until Sunday night so that helps a little. Please keep my little guy in your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Land family said...

I hope it goes well. We paid $1,100 for radio-active iodine surgery for my beloved maine coon that passed away in 2007. He would have otherwise endured medication (that he was allergic too), repeated blood draws and who knows what to keep him temporarily better. I hope it goes well for your precious kitty.

Anonymous said...

I hope everything goes will with Charlie.

For what it's worth, I would have done the surgery, too. Somehow, we always find the money; but we'd be lost without our furbabies.

Hugs & kitten kisses for Charlie!!