Monday, July 21, 2008

Sorry Charlie


My precious little orange kitty Charlie is sick and I feel like I could burst into tears at any moment.

It started early last week when he was wheezing a little more than usual and he started being very distant. I took him to the vet and he ended up staying overnight. They did a chest X-ray and an ultrasound and when the vet came in the room to talk to me, she asked me if I knew that Charlie had been shot. WTF???? Sure enough,there on his x-ray was a small bullet. She said it would do more harm than good to take it out at this point and I almost started crying right then and there. My little baby is blind in one eye, has bad asthma and to add to that list, he has a bullet lodged in his chest.

Since he had lost 2 pounds, they kept him overnight and had him on an IV. I picked him up the next day and he seemed like a zombie. I couldn't get him to eat anything so back he went the next day. On this visit, they took a better look at his X-rays again and determined that he had a mega-esophagus (meaning he has a large esophagus), which is fairly uncommon is cats. She asked if he vomited his dry kibble after he ate and although I love this vet to death, I felt like smacking her. Umm...hello, I having bringing him to you for the past year saying that he vomits his kibble whole and you guys have been telling me he has a food allergy and to try a different food.

It seems like this has been a never-ending cycle and my poor baby keeps suffering.

On the last visit, I was sent home with 4 needles full of prednisone and I was to administer it twice a day. He did ok over the weekend but this morning he was wheezing once again.

Right now, he is at vet once again and I feel like crying. He has wheezed ever since I got him almost 2 years ago and I never said anything to the vets about him wheezing until about 3 months ago. In the beginning, it was much less noticeable but he still did it. Bryan said that the vets should have determined that he had asthma at his yearly visits. Or on one of his other numerous visits when I took him there for vomiting. Still...I feel like a bad mommy and that I have let him down.

I just want my little "Lion King" to come home and be healthy. Is that too much to ask for?

Update as of 4:50 PM: My little boy is home from the vet but he is not doing any better. He has been referred to a specilaist and his appt. is Thursday afternoon. Please keep him in your prayers. I know it is silly to ask people to pray for a cat but please do it this once. He is so precious and dear to me.

We decided to cancel all of our credit cards except for one and we were hoping to use it for our IUI's and fertility treatments. With Charlie's vet bills already nearing $1,000, I am afriad that the specialist is going to max out the card. Bryan told me that I can do whatever I want with that card but how do you chose between your favorite pet and your possible unborn child? I can't help but think that if we are meant to have a baby, we will. I refuse to sit by and watch my kitty suffer. I may not be a "real" mother yet but I am one to Charlie and right now, that is all that matters.

1 comment:

Land family said...

I can't believe he was shot! People are so incredibly cruel. I hope your beautiful boy feels better soon. So they don't think this is anything recent (no wounds), and that he's probably had it? Does that account for any of the wheezing? I have syringe fed my now 11 year old before and it wasn't that bad. Would that be something you could do? If they don't eat hepatic lipidosis sets in really fast so it's crucial that they eat (mine had the beginning of that after being boarded. Talk about guilt). Do you have pet insurance by chance? So so sorry to you. I love my kitties so very much and now how horrible it is when things go wrong. You feel so very helpless.

PVs to your beautiful baby.