Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Clomid...friend or foe???

After trying to conceive unsuccessfully and being told that I have PCOS, my GYN prescribed Clomid for me. I started my first round of Clomid last month and with baited breath, I started counting...


Day 1 of cycle...yea...here we go.
Day 3 - start Clomid
Day 4 - continue Clomid
Day 5 - here comes the Clomid
Day 6 - come here you wonderful little pill
Day 7 - woohoo, first round done
Day 11 - honey, where are you???
Day 12 - honey???
Day 13 - honey is tired...hope that is ok with the fertility Gods...
Day 14 - yea...honey is back
Day 15 on - glad that is over and done with...time to stock up on the pregnancy tests
Day 21 - went to have blood work done to see if I ovulated
Day 23 - call from doctor...I ovulated...yippeee!!! I feel different somehow...could I really be pregnant??
Day 25 - first test - negative
Day 25 - maybe I need another test by a different brand? Nope, still negative
Day 26 - first test of the day - negative
Day 26 - ok, might as well try another test - negative
Day 27 - almost made it through the entire day without testing - still negative
Day 28 - last test in box - still negative
Day 29 - no period, no pregnancy, no happiness, just the same ol' same ol' shit...oh wait, cramps are starting, boobs are tender...I'll bet "Mr. Grumpy" will be here in the morning.

I really don't know why I set my hopes so high with the first round of Clomid. I guess I just felt like it was going to be my miracle drug. Silly me...I thought I could have it all...great husband, new house, new baby, etc. Instead, my hubby and I have been arguing like cats and dogs, the house is starting to seem overwhelming, especially since our parents are having a house-warming party for us in 2 months and I want everything to be perfect and well, there is no baby. Will there ever be a baby?


When I first learned about the PCOS (which I am still uncertain of thanks to my quack Dr.), Bryan was sooooooo supportive. He said that if we couldn't have kids, he would be just fine because he had me. And if we really wanted children, we could always try to adopt. He went so far as to suggest a little Polish baby so she/he might favor me in some way (I think he meant my big Polish nose). He is such a wonderful husband. Would I have been able to say the same to him? In my heart of hearts, I think that I would have been able to but to be honest, I would never want to be put in that situation.


So, here I go again with the counting. Counting the minutes until I fall asleep...counting the hours until I wake up...counting how long it will take for Mr. Grumpy to rear his ugly head...counting the days until I have to call in a refill for the Clomid and start all over again.


Sweet dreams...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweetie - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I went through the exact same ups & downs on Clomid, & my gynie said it can mess with your hormones. Hang in there . . . if/when you get preggers, this will all be worth it.

I didn't know you were Polish, too - my mom is 100% Polish.

Anonymous said...

My name is Holly Lem and i would like to show you my personal experience with Clomid.

I am 28 years old. I got preg first time on my own & miscarried. after a while of trying, my dr put me on clomid. after the first round i got pregnant & miscarried. i decided not to try or think about it at all probably for a 9 months... right around the time baby would be due & then started trying again. after a few months got back on clomid. after 5 months and no pregnancy i'm giving it a rest again. it's to much disappointment. i'm going to give it a try again soon, in the mean time we're keeping our fingers crossed for the old fashioned way to work.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
HOT FLASHES, moody, cry easily, weight gain, headaches etc!!

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Holly Lem

Clomid Prescription Information